Use herby sausages to make your stuffing and you can cut down on added ingredients and use the same sausages for your pigs in blankets.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 herby pork sausages, separated
- 1 small lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 50g/1¾oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh thyme leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a small non-stick frying pan and gently fry the onion for 3–4 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring regularly. Tip into a large bowl and leave to cool.
Squeeze the sausagemeat out of the skins and into the bowl with the cooked and cooled onion. Add the lemon zest, breadcrumbs, thyme and plenty of salt and pepper. Mix well with clean hands and form into 12 small balls. Place on a generously oiled baking tray (with the pigs in blankets, if making) and leave to chill in the fridge until ready to cook.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the stuffing balls are lightly browned and cooked through, turning after 10 minutes. Serve.