- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped or grated, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small savoy cabbage, or napa cabbage, cored and thinly chopped, about 6 to 7 cups
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sour cream, optional
Preheat your oven to 425 F.
Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the oil followed by 3/4 of the onion and 3 minced garlic cloves. Saute for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Add the chopped cabbage and carefully stir. Bring to a low simmer and cover. Let cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the cabbage is tender.
Meanwhile, make the meatballs. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, remaining 1/4 of the onion, remaining 2 minced garlic cloves, egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper and mix well by hand.
Form into 1-inch balls and place on a greased large baking sheet spaced evenly apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
Add the meatballs to the cabbage and sauce and serve topped with parsley and sour cream on the side.